A lot has happened in the U.S.A over the last 7 days. Below are some glossary terms that may help us to navigate the sea of bias news articles flooding our media feeds.
noun: demagogue; plural noun: demagogues
a political leader who seeks support by appealing to popular desires and prejudices rather than by using rational argument.
synonyms: rabble-rouser, agitator, political agitator, soapbox orator, firebrand, fomenter, provocateur
Echo Chamber (In media or Social Media)
A metaphorical description of a situation in which information, ideas, or beliefs are amplified or reinforced by transmission and repetition inside an “enclosed” system, where different or competing views are censored, disallowed, or otherwise underrepresented. The term is by analogy with an acoustic echo chamber, where sounds reverberate.
NPR Article: “The Reason Your Feed Became an Echo Chamber…”
refers to social processes through which ideas and actions come to be seen as ‘normal‘ and become taken-for-granted or ‘natural’ in everyday life.
Article: “The Dangerous Fantasy Behind Trump’s Normalization”
Also referred to as “trickle-down theory“, is a populist political term used to characterize economic policies as favoring the wealthy or privileged. There is no “trickle down” economics as defined by economists; the term is almost exclusively used by critics of policies with other established names. It is usually associated with criticism of laissez-faire capitalism in general and more specifically supply-side economics (for example, Reaganomics)
advice to young punks, by Pinkiest
– you don’t need to have a jacket with patches
– or army boots
- or dyed hair or piercings or tattoos
– you definitely don’t need to be skinny, white, male, cis, or straight
– all you need to do is like punk music
- don’t bother pretending to like bands you don’t; you’ll either get into them or you won’t and either way that’s okay
– if someone knocks you over in the pit and doesn’t apologize, don’t be afraid to call that fucker out
– make friends in the line for shows, you meet cool people that way
– graffiti is fine, but don’t steal shit if you don’t need it
– only you get to decide if it’s punk, fuck what anyone else says
– it’s more than okay to listen to nicki minaj now and then
– don’t worry abt being embarrassing: you are, and that’s fine
– do yourself a favour and listen to more female fronted/poc bands
– don’t let white cis men in the scene tell you shit
Reblogged from http://youngerheart.co.vu/post/127628617567